|Sport||Date||Visiting Team||Home Team|
Select a Sport:
Select a School:
2013 Baseball Preview: Top hitters to watch
MORNING JOURNAL FILE PHOTO Despite playing in just 12 games last season, Billingsley was one of the Titans’ top hitters with a .370 average. A healthy Billingsley will be a tremendous boost to a Lorain lineup already full of good hitters.
• Ryan Osko (Lorain), sr. — He is the top returning hitter for the Titans heading into 2013 after hitting .405 with 19 RBIs and 28 runs scored. Osko added 13 stolen bases and was an All-Morning Journal Honorable Mention in 2012.
• Connor Morris (Amherst), sr. — He was the Southwestern Conference Most Valuable Player and a first-team All-Ohio selection in 2012, hitting .468 with 7 doubles and 21 RBIs. Morris was also first-team All-Lorain County and all-district as he led the Comets to an SWC championship.
• Ryan Vargo (Clearview), sr. — The Tiffin University signee is his team’s leading returning hitter after averaging .408 in his junior season. Vargo is also the team’s top pitcher going into this season.
• Cory Smith (New London), sr. — He led the Wildcats’ offense in 2012 with a .484 average, adding 8 doubles and 26 RBIs to help his team to a 20-8 record. Smith took a giant step in 2012, improving his batting average by over 140 points compared to his sophomore season.
• Brandon Linna (Avon), sr. — He led the Eagles in batting in 2012 with a .455 average and was a second-team All-West Shore Conference selection. Linna will be one of the key cogs in Avon’s lineup as they go after a third-straight conference championship.
• Justin Mott (Amherst), jr. — He was a first-team All-Morning Journal selection in 2012 after hitting .357 with six doubles, a triple, two home runs, 34 RBIs and 20 runs scored. Mott started the season off strong, going 2-for-4 with a home run and four RBIs in the Comets’ 8-2 win over Firelands on Saturday.
• Zach Souter (Huron), jr. — As as sophomore, Souter was an offensive force for Huron, hitting .434 with six home runs and 23 RBIs. He will be counted upon to match his production on an experienced Huron ballclub.
• Seth Bryant (Perkins), sr. — He had a big year offensively in 2012, hitting .440 with 27 RBIs as the team’s starting catcher. Bryant earned first-team All-Sandusky Bay Conference honors as he helped lead the Pirates to a district final appearance.
• Nic Billingsley (Lorain), sr. — Despite playing in just 12 games last season, Billingsley was one of the Titans’ top hitters with a .370 average. A healthy Billingsley will be a tremendous boost to a Lorain lineup already full of good hitters.
Last Updated: 3/30/2013 9:42:24 PM EST